If you want to play casino games on the Web, we have compiled the selection of the best online casinos for Australian players. This selection is based on promotions, bonuses, security, cash out options, reputation, software robustness, graphics, customer service, game diversity and the overall respect of the player. We update the our top recommended online casinos on a regular basis.
Online casinos in australia and beyond
Player numbers in Australia and around the globe for online gambling have grown exponentially since online casinos first opened their doors back in 1994. Over two decades later quite a bit has changed, and for the better. There are many more virtual gaming destinations to choose from, a much wider selection of casino games, safer banking options, better quality software providers, more interactive gaming features, bigger jackpots, better qualified customer support centres, more devices to play on, more stringent security measures, easier navigation and smoother game play. So how does a player decide where to sign up? There are endless factors to keep in mind, and it will ultimately depend on what you’re looking for in a casino. We’ve highlighted some of the key points below and throughout the site, to help you make an informed decision and choose the best casino online Australia has to offer for you.
Online casino sign-up offers
One of the first things new players look at when picking an online casino, is their welcome offer. This can take on a number of guises, some that might appear more appealing than others. But take note, there are always terms and conditions that apply when claiming these offers – some require a deposit and some don’t for example. Make sure you read the fine print and understand the play-through requirements involved to avoid any unnecessary surprises before you sign up at a casino and opt in for their welcome offer. Also note that these offers won’t be available indefinitely, so be sure to claim it before the expiry date.
Popular sign-up offers at online casinos in Australia include:
- Free Credits – Usually this will be a smaller amount, say for example $5. When you join the casino, the cash amount will be loaded in your account. You can then use this free money to try out some of the casino’s pokies, scratchies or table games at no cost to you. You won’t of course be allowed to just cash the money out.
- Free Spins – This is a popular offer at a small number of online casinos and is exactly what it says, free spins on a much loved online pokies/slots game. Once you’ve registered your new player account, you’ll be able to enjoy your free spins on the predetermined pokies machine.
- Match Bonuses – Most casinos offer match bonuses as welcome offers as it is a win-win for all. While the casino gets you to make a real money deposit, you also get more value for your money. How does it work? Take a 100% match bonus up to $100 for example. If you deposit $100, the casino will match it 100%, giving you another $100 in bonus credits to play with. So in essence, you’ve actually doubled your money, doubled your game time and doubled your chances of striking it lucky with a win. While many casinos offer one sign-up bonus, some offer up to four sign-up bonuses, which means you’ll score bonus credits on your first four deposits – not a bad way to start your play.
Online casino games
There are literally hundreds of casino games to choose from today, thanks to first class software providers like Microgaming, NetENT, RealPlay and various other industry leaders. When picking a casino, be sure to also check out their software provider as this will be an indication of the quality gaming you can expect to enjoy. Renowned software providers will ensure that the graphics are crisp, clear and beautifully rendered, the audio effects and soundtrack of the highest standard and that the latest visual and interactive features like 3D images, movie clips, voice-overs, interactive bonus games and intro movies are applied throughout. Let’s take a look at the different game types you’ll find at top-end online casinos.
Online pokies (or online slots as they are also referred to) are probably the most played online casino games in the world today. And the options are seemingly endless. You can take your pick from a range 3-reel classic pokies or fruit pokies featuring cherries, gold bars, sevens and other instantly identifiable icons on the screen or you can play more than one game at once if you select mega-spin pokies machines. A firm favourite would be video pokies as they are packed with undoubtedly the best graphics, effects and features. What’s more, they’re themed, so you can choose to play a game based on a theme that appeals to you, like sports, adventure, myth, mystery, action, wealth, car racing, vampires, romance and even blockbuster movies and television series. Holding the key to the biggest payouts however are progressive pokies games. The jackpots paid out can reach well into the millions as the prize pool is collected from various casinos where players play these games. So playing progressives pokies online is therefore your best bet if you want to pocket a life-changing payout.
While online roulette is a table game of chance, you can use some basic strategy to let your bankroll last a lot longer. Almost every online casino offers online roulette in its line-up with a choice between European Roulette and American Roulette games. The only difference between the two tables? Both have slots on the wheel numbered 1 – 36 but while European Roulette has one zero, American Roulette has a zero plus a double zero. Online roulette is therefore played in the same way as its land-based version, where you get to pick either numbers or a colour, or a combination of both when you place your bet.
Many movies have immortalised this table game genre, also known as 21, which can be played at most Australian online casinos. How it works is seemingly simple. You need to beat the dealer’s hand of cards by having the closest total to but not exceeding 21. Both of you will get dealt two cards, giving you the option to hit, stand or double down to improve your total, but not going over 21 and busting. There are various ways to improve your game. Firstly you need to learn the rules, then adapt some basic blackjack strategies, learn some blackjack tips and if you have what it takes, employ your card counting skills.
If you’re a table game fan and enjoy taking a seat at blackjack, baccarat and roulette tables, you’re sure to love the latest addition to online casinos – live casino tables. No catch. You’ll get to place bets and interact with real live croupiers online. How is this possible? Via advanced video streaming technology. It’s as close to the real thing as it gets, without the hassle of travelling to a land-based casino. If live casino gaming appeals to you, make sure you pick an online casino that offers this as an option.
When online gambling was launched in the nineties, the mobile phone industry was also in its infancy. A few years ago it caught up with computer technology and now also offers mobile gaming as an option for players. So not only can you enjoy casino games on your PC and laptop today, but also on your tablet and smartphone. Most online gaming sites’ software is compatible with all devices, whether operating on an iOS or Android platform. Plus, you should be able to use the same account details and funds to play across devices. Take note however that most mobile casinos won’t offer the same number of games as would be available for PC-play – the reason is simple, the bulk of older games were created before mobile gaming was around.
Safety and security
A key factor for most online casino Australian players is security. You might ask – will my money be safe, will my personal details remain private and are my transactions secure? The answer is yes, if you play at a reputable gaming destination, like the ones we’ve highlighted on this site. How do you know if an online casino is indeed safe to play at? Simply look for the following: licencing in a legal jurisdiction like Malta and Gibraltar, as well as approval by an industry watchdog like eCOGRA which guarantees fast payouts, proper casino conduct, fair game play and great service to its players. You can also read up on the casino’s security and privacy policies as well as their stance towards responsible game play.
If you want to win for real, you have to play for real. It’s that simple. This brings us to banking which forms an integral part of online gambling. Making deposits in an online environment can be daunting. It is for this reason that leading online casinos have streamlined the process to make it easier, faster and bottom line, as safe as it gets. As a player you’ll get to take your pick from a list of deposit and withdrawal options, available in your region and operating in your currency. You should have the option to choose a variety of banking mechanisms including web wallets, echecks, prepaid options, debit cards and of course, credit cards. Make sure your preferred Australian banking solution is available whether it’s Visa, NETELLER, MasterCard, Skrill, Ukash, POLi, entropay or any other big name banking brand.
Promotions and rewards
Aside from rewarding new players with a welcome offer, most online casinos also offer other enticing rewards, programmes and winning opportunities. These can take on various forms and are usually advertised upfront. Keep an eye out for the following:
- Promotions. Almost every online casino offers a range of promotions, competitions or lucky draws that all or a selected group of players are invited to enter. Casinos usually send email updates and text messages to players to invite them to take part with instructions on how to enter. Another way to stay updated is to log into your software and view the promotions section frequently. Prizes are usually worth it and can range from casino-themed spins, credits and bonuses to exotic getaways, cool gadgets, cash and online vouchers. As not everybody enters, the odds of winning is always good.
- Freeroll Tournaments. If you get an invite to take part in a freeroll pokies tournament, don’t decline. You’ll get to play for free against other players online and still compete for a prize. If luck’s not on your side, you might have to pay for buy-ins to stay in the game. However, you could make it to the top without paying to play.
- Bonus Rewards. Many online casinos offer deposit match bonuses to its players – either daily, weekly or monthly. If you like to get more value for your money, make sure you sign up at a casino that promotes match bonuses. Like with the sign-up bonuses, the casino will match your deposits according to the offer.
- Loyalty Programmes. Want to feel appreciated? That’s what loyalty programmes are for. Similar to those you’ll find at stores, online casinos reward players with points based on their wagering activities. Players can then exchange it for bonus credits which they can play back at the casino. Some casinos even let you exchange these points for cash credits that you can cash out and use as you please. So the more you wager, the more you’ll get rewarded.
- VIP Programmes. High rollers who place bigger bets can qualify for an online casino’s VIP programme which will afford them better benefits than those reserved for regular players. These include personal hosts that they can contact directly, exclusive promotions with luxury prizes, invites to special events and even gifts.
Online player support
When you’re gambling online and something goes wrong, it’s good to know that there’s someone to assist you. Customer support is a vital feature of reputable online casinos like the ones we’ve reviewed. Make sure when you pick your gaming destination that it offers 24/7 player support in your language. Those casinos that have been around for a while understand the importance of customer service and ensure that their teams are professionally trained and easy to talk to. Most casinos will offer either one or all of the following contact options: email, online live chat facilities or toll-free phone numbers. When you sign up at a new casino, familiarise yourself with these. This will make it quick and easy for you to get help should you have a question or query.